Age spots, acne marks, melasma, hyperpigmentation, and uneven skin tone are some of the things that make you look older than you are. They can be very stubborn and resistant to many skincare formulations making it very difficult to get rid of them. If you’re wondering how to remove tanning on your uneven skin or you’re looking to improve the appearance of your skin, then skin lightening peels or chemical peels for acne marks and other conditions might be right for you. Learn all about it before deciding if this treatment would be beneficial for your skin.
Chemical peels are cosmetic treatments in which carefully formulated chemical solutions are applied to the face, hands, and neck to exfoliate the skin in the applied area to induce peeling off.
What are Chemical Peels?
This can be in the form of visible exfoliation or invisible shedding of skin cells. There are also back peels or arm peels for pigment marks and to reverse tanning or for Macular Amyloidosis, a skin condition that has waves like-pattern of pigmentation, on the arms, back or anywhere else. Peeling off stimulates the growth of newer, smoother, and less damaged skin, resulting in improved appearance and feel of the skin.
There are three kinds of chemical peels:
Further subdivided into very superficial and superficial peels, this type is the best kind of peels for dark skin and Indian skin, as they deliver gentle exfoliation using alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or Beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), which only penetrates the top most layer of the skin. Chemical peels for the under eye are usually very superficial because of the sensitive nature of the area.
Using agents such as trichloroacetic or glycolic acid in variable percentages, medium peels penetrate the middle and topmost layer of the skin allowing for more effective skin renewal. However, depending on your skin’s level of sensitivity and skin type, this may lead to unwanted pigmentation on the treated area.
Fully penetrating the middle layer of the skin, deep peels use phenol or trichloroacetic acid to peel off the skin. These peels offer good resurfacing of the skin with great anti-ageing benefits. These peels are used rarely in Indian skin type for the risk of scarring or pigmentation.
Benefits of Chemical Peel
The benefits of getting a chemical peel from a certified Dermatologist are diverse. Your skin will benefit from newer, brighter, more even-toned skin brought about by regular sessions of chemical peels. Generally, chemical peels stimulate collagen production improving the skin’s colour, tone, clarity, and texture.
You’ll also notice these other benefits if you have these conditions:
- Chemical peels for acne have been seen very effective in clearing up blemishes, face acne, back acne, and body acne. It works by stippling the skin of dead skin cells, congestions, impurities, and build-up for clearer skin.
- Chemical peels are considered fast and effective acne marks treatment, it helps erase stubborn and long-lasting marks.
- It helps reverse the discoloration brought about by macular amyloidosis, or the brownish rippled pattern in the trunk and limbs predominantly found in Asian, Middle Eastern, and South American skin.
- Chemical peels for tanning can help reverse the tanning process when you spend too much time under the sun to reveal lightened and even skin tone after your sessions.
- Studies on chemical peels for melasma revealed that peels are safe and effective in eliminating and preventing the condition by promoting fast skin cell turnover.
- Chemical peels also help in reducing and preventing age spots, lentigines, wrinkles, fine lines, and superficial scars, for younger and healthier-looking skin. 7. Regular sessions can help improve the skin’s hydration by repairing the skin’s moisture barrier and helping the skin absorb skincare more effectively by removing skin build-up that may prevent your skincare from being absorbed deeper.
Steps of a Chemical Peel
Chemical peels are usually done in-clinic. Before your session, stop using products with retinoid variants for at least 2 days or as suggested by your dermatologist. Make sure to let your dermatologist know if you are taking any medication or are allergic to certain medications or if you have sensitive skin.
This is what you can expect during and after the procedure:
- Your hair will be secured, your face will be cleaned.
- Sensitive areas of your face will be protected with petroleum jelly, to prevent accumulation of peel and peel burns.
- Your Dermatologist will apply a chemical solution to the area being treated using a brush or cotton ball. Expect a slight stinging sensation as the solution is left for about 3 to 5 minutes before it is removed or neutralized.
- Moisturize and apply sunscreen after the procedure, avoid sun exposure, and do not over-exfoliate the skin.
What do we recommend at Sarin Skin Solutions
Our clinic offers a range of chemical peels, taking into consideration your skin type, concern, goal and average daily sun exposure. The chemical peels used are carefully hand-picked from highly-acclaimed and quality-certified brands.
We recommend a series of peeling sessions for best results.
- Salicylic acid for oily, acne-prone skin, blackheads and whiteheads.
- Glycolic acid, Mandelic acid, Phenol peel, Jessner’s peel, Phytic peel, TCA peel are offered for pigmentation.
- Retinol peel, yellow peel, glycolic acid peel, Jessner’s peel also provide skin resurfacing and anti-ageing benefits.
- The percentage of peeling agent used will be chosen by your Dermatologist.
In some patients, we combine chemical peels with laser toning to offer better results in pigment treatment or acne marks.
A chemical peel is a great way to erase and prevent the signs of skin aging, smoothen the skin, and keep it more radiant. More than just lightening an overly tanned skin, it is also potent in addressing the effects of certain skin conditions like melasma, acne, macular amyloidosis, hyper pigmentation, Keratosis pilaris, and uneven skin tone. However, it ensures that the procedure is performed by highly qualified practitioners or Dermatologists to prevent the potential side effects and achieve optimal results. For effective chemical peeling treatments done by expert Dermatologists and practitioners, trust only Sarin Skin Solutions. Contact us now.